Windrush and Commonwealth

Personal Immigration

Windrush and Commonwealth

If you are settled in the UK but do not have a document to prove it, you may be eligible to apply to the Windrush Scheme free of charge.

If one of the following is true, you may be able to apply for a document to prove you can live and work in the UK:

  • You arrived in the UK before 1973 from a Commonwealth Country and have since left the UK. For a list of Commonwealth Countries see here.
  • You are the child of a Commonwealth citizen who arrived before 1973.
  • You arrived before 1989 and are still settled here.

You may be eligible to apply for British citizenship if you are:

  • a Commonwealth citizen who settled in the UK before 01 January 1973; or
  • you are the child of someone who did.

You might also be able to apply for compensation for losses you suffered because you could not show that you had a right to live in the UK.

To apply from inside the UK, you must use the Windrush Scheme application form (UK). You must post your form to the address listed alongside your supporting documents.

To apply from outside the UK, you must apply using an online form.

After you have applied the, Home Office will work with other government departments to find records of you living in the UK. The Windrush taskforce may get in touch with you if they need more information or documents or if they have questions for you.

Why choose us?

Our highly trained immigration experts have a thorough understanding of the requirements and application process.

We can help you with your tailored application by providing you with:

  • An honest opinion on the positives and negatives of your case.
  • Advice on the requirements specific to your circumstances.
  • A customised evidence checklist.
  • Assistance with preparing and submitting your application form and evidence.
  • Challenging a refusal decision.
Windrush and Commonwealth